Housing in Multiple Occupation (HMO)
How long will it take?
When completing the form online, supplying all the documents we require and successfully pay online, the process will be quite speedy. Here is an outline of what happens when you apply for a HMO Licence:
- First you apply online via https://landlordlicensing.sandwell.gov.uk/. Complete the application form and attach all the documents we require.
- Then you will be asked for a payment.
- After all the application form is filled and all the documentation is attached, the application is open for Consultation. Consultation takes 7 days and it is where various parties will investigate whether the applicant is a fit and proper person and there are no concerns about the property.
- After the 7 days of the Consultation period and there are no problems, the applicant will receive their Draft Licence and Intention notice. The application will then be open for Representation with other interested bodies.
- The Representation period lasts up to 14 days. This period is when the tenant(s) and any 3rd parties will be able to contact us to report any concerns that they have about the applicant or property.
- If the tenant(s) or 3rd parties come back with problems and concerns, then this may be shown on the Conditions section of the Licence. If the concerns are serious, there may be some further investigation, which may involve an inspection of the property.
- If there are no Representations after the 14 days, then we can approve the applicants Full Licence and issue it along with the Intention Notice.
- The full Licence is usually granted for 5 years, unless there are any concerns when it may be for a shorter period.
Pages in "Housing in Multiple Occupation (HMO)"
- What is a HMO?
- HMO Licence Fee's
- Apply for a HMO Licence
- Does my HMO need a Licence?
- How do I get a HMO Licence?
- You are here How long will it take?
- What should I expect?
- What happens If I am not a Fit and Proper Person?
- What about Non-Licensable HMO's?
- Can you refuse me a Licence?
- Temporary Exemption Notices (TEN)
- Can I Appeal the refusal of my Licence?
- Can I apply to have my Licence Varied?
- What are the Conditions attached to the Licence?
- What happens if I don't Licence my HMO?
- What Standards do I need to Maintain in a HMO?
- Licensable HMO Room Sizes
- The Management Regulations
- What are Amenity Standards?
- What are the Duties of Tenants?
- Tenant Fees Act
- Fire safety in HMO’s
- Waste collection in HMO's