Housing in Multiple Occupation (HMO)
The Management Regulations
All HMO’s, whether they are Licensable or not, will have to make sure that they are abiding by the Management Regulations. If the Landlord does not abide by these Regulations, they could face a Civil Penalty up to £1000 per offence. The duties that are to be conducted by the manager(s) of the property are to:
- Provide all occupiers with the Landlords name, address and telephone number, all this information will be on a notice board in a well-located area within the property.
- Ensure that all fire escapes are cleared of any obstacles and that adequate fire safety measures are in place with regards to the design.
- Maintain an adequate supply of water and a drainage to the dwelling.
- Not unreasonably cause the gas and electric supply to be interrupted.
- Inspect every electrical installation by a suitably qualified person at intervals not exceeding 5 years.
- Provide electrical and gas inspection certificates within 7 days of receiving a request of writing from the local housing authority.
- Ensure that all parts of the HMO are maintained in good decorative order and safe working condition, especially the common parts.
- Ensure that each unit of living accommodation and its contents are clean before the occupiers move in. Also to ensure that they are kept in good repair and clean working order.
- Provide adequate facilities to dispose of all waste produced by the property.
- Ensure that there is no build-up of litter or refuse.
- Ensure that outbuildings, yards, forecourts, boundary walls, fences and railings are to be kept in good repair as well as gardens kept in reasonable condition.
You can also view the Management Regulations through the Governments website.
Pages in "Housing in Multiple Occupation (HMO)"
- What is a HMO?
- HMO Licence Fee's
- Apply for a HMO Licence
- Does my HMO need a Licence?
- How do I get a HMO Licence?
- How long will it take?
- What happens if I am not a Fit and Proper Person?
- What about Non-Licensable HMO's?
- Temporary Exemption Notices (TEN)
- Can I apply to have my Licence varied?
- What are the Conditions attached to the Licence?
- What happens if I don't Licence my HMO?
- What Standards do I need to Maintain in a HMO?
- Licensable HMO Room Sizes
- You are here The Management Regulations
- What are Amenity Standards?
- What are the Duties of Tenants?
- Tenant Fees Act
- Fire safety in HMO’s
- Waste collection in HMO's