Time to get active
Health officials recommend that you take part in at least 30 minutes of (moderate intensity) physical activity at least five times a week, that's 5x30.
What does moderate intensity mean?
It means working hard enough to be breathing more heavily than normal and becoming slightly warmer, but not so hard that you are unable to talk and exercise at the same time.
Moderate intensity activities include:
- brisk walking
- golf, pulling or carrying clubs
- lawn mowing
- cleaning windows.
If 30 minutes in one go seems too much, then:
- a ten minute session three times a day can be just as good for you
- start at a level that suits you
- gradually build up the frequency, intensity and duration
- choose a variety of activities and ones that you enjoy
- try to do something every day.
Make it fun
There is no need to think of strenuous workouts that are painful and boring. Instead, image doing fun activities you enjoy and look forward to.