Updates from the council on coronavirus

Check the latest advice on COVID-19 →

Report anti-social behaviour

What can the council do about anti-social behaviour?

We are committed to making sure all residents enjoy their right to peace, quiet and security in their neighbourhood.

We recognise that anti-social behaviour can have a severe effect on the well-being of residents and that we want to take action to minimise it.

Where we can demonstrate anti-social behaviour has occurred, we will respond proportionately. This means that we will take action that is balanced and fair in view of the behaviour that has happened.

To demonstrate that anti-social behaviour has happened, we will usually need evidence.

For instance, in most cases it would not be proportionate to pursue legal actions against someone for a one-off incident or low-level noise nuisance. Also, it would normally not be proportionate to issue a verbal warning for incidents of physical violence or hate crime.

The council has a variety of powers and options to tackle anti-social behaviour. These include both preventative measures and legal options.

Examples of council action to tackle anti-social behaviour:

  • Verbal warnings
  • Anti-social behaviour injunctions
  • Warning letters
  • Premises closure powers
  • Acceptable behaviour contracts
  • Community protection notices
  • Good neighbour agreements
  • Demotion of tenancy (council tenants)
  • Community protection warnings
  • Eviction (council tenants)
  • Tenancy notices
  • Public Space Protection Orders (PSPOs)
  • Mediation
  • Fixed penalty notices
  • Parenting contracts
  • Restorative justice

Read the council's policy statement for anti-social behaviour.

Report anti-social behaviour

Some other ASB problems can be dealt with by other parts of the council. You can also report those online:

Pages in "Report anti-social behaviour"

  1. Report anti-social behaviour
  2. What should you do if you experience anti-social behaviour?
  3. You are here What can the council do about anti-social behaviour?