Register to vote

Polling cards for the EU Referendum on Thursday 23 June have now been delivered.

If you have not received your polling card, or the card is in the previous occupier's name, you may not be registered to vote.

If you're not sure if you're registered, you can check if you are registered to vote.

The extended deadline for registering to vote in the EU referendum has passed. Your application can still be processed for other future elections.

The deadline for requesting a postal vote has also passed. However, you can still apply for a proxy vote (where someone votes on your behalf) – deadline is 5pm Wednesday 15 June.

Register to vote in future elections

Please have your National Insurance Number and your date of birth to hand when you register. It only takes five minutes.

You are not automatically registered to vote, even if you pay council tax or if you have registered to use other council services.

If you have moved house or changed your name, you also need to update your details online.

If you know someone who needs to register but who hasn't got access to the internet, please tell them they can use the self-serve computers at any library or at the One Stop Shop at Sandwell Council House in Oldbury.

The Government's Your Vote Matters website has more information about registering and voting.

Who can register?

You can register to vote if you are:

  • 16 years old or over and a British citizen or an Irish, qualifying Commonwealth e.g. India or European Union citizen e.g. France and are resident in the UK.
  • If you are 16 or 17, you can only register if you will be 18 within the lifetime of the electoral register. You cannot vote until you are 18.

You can find out more information about eligible countries for registering to vote in the UK.

You may be interested in statistics on the number of properties and electors by ward and constituency.

More information

If you have any questions, please contact us:

Our opening hours are Monday to Thursday 9am-5.30pm, Friday 9am-5pm.

Useful resources

You can read more about the electoral register.

We work closely with Bite the Ballot to educate, engage and empower young voters. Resources are available from this organisation for schools to use for classroom lessons on the subject of democracy.

The Electoral Commission has information about voting available in accessible formats:

To order a Braille version, please call the Electoral Commission's public information line on 020 7271 0500.