The next local and parliamentary elections are in May 2015.

The Elections Office is responsible for organising all elections held in Sandwell. Most elections are contested by candidates representing registered political parties. Sometimes independent candidates stand for election, unsupported by a party. You can find further information about the following types of elections:

There are also elections for the West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner, which was first held in November 2012. These will be held every 4 years, the next one will be in May 2016.

Previous results

We have also made available the results for elections in Sandwell going back to 2008.


Sandwell is divided into 24 Wards each represented by 3 Councillors.

Each Ward is within a Parliamentary Constituency and we have 4 Constituencies within the Borough, each of which has a Member of Parliament.

You can view the maps of the wards and constituencies in Sandwell on the Ordnance Survey Election Maps website.  We can also provide printed copies of maps, upon request, for 30p each.  If you are interested, please email us at electoral_services@sandwell.gov.uk

Sandwell Council's Acting Returning Officer is only responsible for the administration of 3 of these Constituencies as the Halesowen and Rowley Constituency comes under the responsibility of the Acting Returning Officer for Dudley, based at Dudley MBC

The whole of the Borough comes under the West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner's area and the West Midlands European Parliamentary Election Region.

We are committed to providing a quality electoral service - to see what we provide and what you can expect from us, including our performance, please see our Customer Charter for Elections Services.

How to vote

You will need to make sure that you are registered to vote. Once registered you can vote in one of three ways.

More information on how to vote

How to stand for election

If you are interested in standing for election in Sandwell, you can find more information on becoming a councillor.

Electoral register

Your name must be on the electoral register if you wish to use your right to vote. The Register of Electors (the Electoral Roll) is a record of people eligible to vote within Sandwell.

The way your register to vote is changing from summer 2014 - look out for more information coming soon.

Mayoral petition notice - verification number

Each year we have to publish the verification number which is used to determine if petitions asking us to change our governance arrangement are valid. You can view the official verification number notice.