Councillors' code of conduct
It is important that councillors and employees conduct themselves in the right way. We work hard to live up to the high standards that the people of Sandwell expect from us.
Ethical governance, also known as the ethical framework, refers to the processes, procedures, culture and values which ensure high standards of behaviour.
As required by law, Sandwell Council has adopted a code of conduct which sets out the rules about the behaviour of Sandwell's councillors. The code covers all councillors and co-opted members and requires them, for example, to treat others with respect, not to use their position for personal gain and to register their interests.
The code is based around seven general principles of conduct. These are:
- Selflessness (doing things for others rather than personal benefit),
- Objectivity (not being biased),
- Accountability (being responsible),
- Honesty and
Code of Conduct
All councillors must abide by the Members’ Code of Conduct.
The revised Members’ Code of Conduct was updated under section 28 of the Localism Act 2011 and adopted at the meeting of Council on 24 May 2016.
Information on making a complaint
If you want to make a complaint about the conduct of a councillor you must do so in writing setting out the relevant parts of the code which you think the councillor has breached. A copy of the complaints form can be found below in the link to the 'arrangements for dealing with standards allegations'. Please read all the information before you submit your complaint.
- Arrangements for dealing with standards allegations (including complaint form)
- Protocol for the informal resolution of concerns from councillors in relation to the councillors' code of conduct
- Protocol for councillors on gifts and hospitality
- Councillors' declaration of interests (attached to individual members details on the Committee Management Information System)
- Standards Committee Annual Report
- Agendas and papers for Sandwell Council's Standards Committee
- Sandwell's staff reporting (whistleblowing) procedures