Cabinet and council structure
The leader of the council is Councillor Steve Eling and he has a cabinet of councillors known as cabinet members.
Each cabinet member is responsible for specific issues and services - this is known as their portfolio.
The cabinet members for 2018/19 are:
- Deputy leader of the council and cabinet member for neighbourhoods and communities - Councillor Syeda Khatun
- Cabinet member for children's services - Councillor Simon Hackett
- Cabinet member for culture and core council services - Councillor Steve Trow
- Cabinet member for highways and environment - Councillor David Hosell
- Cabinet member for housing - Councillor Kerrie Carmichael
- Cabinet member for leisure and commonwealth games - Councillor Bill Gavan
- Cabinet member for public health and protection - Councillor Elaine Costigan
- Cabinet member for regeneration and economic investment - Councillor Paul Moore
- Cabinet member for social care - Councillor Ann Shackleton
The council also has a number of scrutiny boards. The chairs of these boards for 2018/19 are:
- Budget and corporate scrutiny management board - Councillor Peter Hughes
- Children's services and education scrutiny board - Councillor Joyce Underhill
- Economy, skills, transport and environment scrutiny board - Councillor Laura Hickey
- Health and adult social care scrutiny board - Councillor Elaine Giles
- Safer neighbourhoods and active communities scrutiny board - Councillor Zahoor Ahmed
The council's constitution sets out the procedures, regulations and protocols in relation to decision making.You can find this document on the council's Committee Management Information System.