Updates from the council on coronavirus

Check the latest advice on COVID-19 →

Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015

Apply to be on the self-build and custom housebuilding register

The purpose of the register

The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 requires local planning authorities to keep a register of individuals and associations who are looking for a serviced plot of land in their area for self-build or custom housebuilding.

Self-build and custom housebuilding registers provide valuable information on the demand for self-build and custom housebuilding in the local area. This information can help us to make decisions on future planning, land disposal and regeneration. The register is not for the purpose of contacting those on it with available plots of land.


You can apply to be on the register either as an individual (which can be a representative of a couple or household) or as an association, which must appoint a member or officer to act as the lead contact.

Each individual and every member of an association of individuals that applies for entry on the register must be:

  • aged 18 or over
  • a British citizen, a national of a EEA (European Economic Area) State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland; and
  • seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the relevant authority's area to build a house to occupy as that individual's sole or main residence.

Further guidance on self-build and custom housebuilding may be found on the GOV.UK website.

Entry, removal and amendments

We will notify you in writing within 28 days from the date of your application confirming whether or not you are eligible for the register.

If you have been entered on the register and wish to have your entry removed or your demand has been met you will need to notify us of this in writing; we will remove your entry within 28 days of receiving the request and write to you to confirm this.

If you wish to amend an existing application, send in additional documents or have any questions about self-build and custom housebuilding within Sandwell please write to us at property_services@sandwell.gov.uk.


Please download the application form here and, once complete, send to -

Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council - Property Services
Sandwell Council House
Freeth Street
B69 3DE

To understand more about why we collect your information, what we do with your information, how you can access your information, your personal information rights, how and to whom to raise a complaint about your information, please visit our privacy notice page.