Updates from the council on coronavirus

Check the latest advice on COVID-19 →

Food safety advice for businesses

Food hygiene training

Anyone who handles or prepares food, whether unwrapped or packaged, needs to be supervised and instructed and/or trained in food hygiene. Employers are responsible for staff hygiene training.

Food hygiene

For most food handlers, the most appropriate training to undertake is at Level 2 in Food Hygiene. Level 2 courses are available for different types of food businesses, including retailers, caterers or manufacturers, so you should speak to the course provider about the most appropriate course for your business and employees.

Food Safety Management System

Food business operators or managers that are responsible for the development of the Food Safety Management System, for example Safer Food Better Business, are also required to receive adequate training in the application of the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) principles.

Find training courses

Although there is no requirement for you to use any particular training provider, we do recommend that you use training providers that are accredited by the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) or the Royal Society for Public Health (RSPH).