Register a birth
All births in England, Wales and Northern Ireland must be registered within 42 days of the child being born.
If your baby was born within Sandwell you can register the birth at Sandwell Register Office in West Bromwich, and you will receive the birth certificate(s) at the same time.
If your baby was born outside Sandwell you can visit us to make a birth declaration and we will forward the details to the correct register office. If you need a certificate, you will have to apply to the register office in the district where your baby was born, seven days after the declaration was taken.
To register a birth or make a birth declaration, you will need to make an appointment with the registrar. Please note, birth appointments are only available on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
There is no fee to register a birth. Charges for birth certificates are as follows:
- Full birth certificate issued at the time of registration £11
- Short birth certificate issued at the time of registration £11
- Full birth certificate issued after the time of registration £11
Certificates are always available from the district where you were born.
Payment can be made either in cash, credit/debit card, cheque or Postal Order.
If you are making a birth declaration, please bring either a cheque or Postal Order payable to “The Registrar” for £4 per birth certificate with you to the appointment.
Once you've booked an appointment we will email you confirmation details including the date and time of your appointment.
Information you need when registering a birth
When registering the birth, you should know:
- Place and date of the birth
- Name, surname and sex of the baby
- Parents' names, surnames and address
- Places and dates of parents' birth
- Date of parents' marriage or civil partnership
- Parents' jobs
- Mother's maiden name.
You might not need to give all of this information, depending on who is registering the birth.
Documents to bring with you when you register the birth
Depending on who is registering:
- Mother or father's passport and driving licence
- A Council Tax bill
- Marriage or civil partnership certificates
- Parents' birth certificates and any change of name documents.
Who can register a birth?
Information about who can register a birth is available on the Gov.uk website.
Need more information or advice?
If you need further information or advice about registering a birth in Sandwell please call us on 0121 368 1188 or email us at the Sandwell Register Office.