Get copies of certificates
We can only supply copies of certificates for births, marriages and deaths that occurred in Sandwell or (or if it was pre-1974) the towns that previously made up the area (Smethwick, Oldbury, Rowley Regis, Tipton, Wednesbury and West Bromwich).
If you request a certificate and we find that the birth, marriage or death did not occur in Sandwell, your payment will not be refunded.
You can pay online for the certificate by credit or debit card.
Please note - the certificate fee includes a record search fee and is non-refundable. We are only able to produce certificates for events that happened within Sandwell.
Need a copy quickly?
If you need a quick copy and you apply for it by 3pm, it will be available the next working day after 10am. You can do this online or in person at Sandwell Register Office. The cost is £35.
How much do copies of certificates cost?
The cost of a copy of a certificate varies.
- An extra copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate at the time of registration is £11.
- After registration, copies of older certificates from the archives cost £11 each. We normally post these after four working days. Or you can collect from Sandwell Register Office on the fourth working day.
- If you need a copy of a certificate urgently, we offer a next day service for £35 if you attend in person or pay online.
You may also find the West Midlands Births, Marriages and Deaths website useful.
Correcting a mistake on a certificate
Sometimes, information on a birth, marriage or death certificate is incorrect.
Please note that only mistakes, and not changes, can be amended on original certificates, such as spelling mistakes in names.
Charges for correcting a mistake on a certificate are as follows:
- New or additional forename or forename(s) given to a child within 12 months after the registration of the birth: £40
- Correction of a birth or death entry not referred to the Registrar General: £75
- Correction of a birth, death or marriage entry referred to the Registrar General: £90