Free school meals
Many families in Sandwell could get free school meals but don't claim for them.
Your child may be entitled to free school meals if:
- your annual income is less than £16,190; and
you claim Child Tax Credit (*Not Including Working Tax Credit) only; and
your child is attending a Sandwell School (if your child(ren) doesn't attend a Sandwell School, you will need to apply to the Local Authority which your child(ren) school is in)
*Please note you will not qualify for free school meals if you receive any amount of Working Tax Credit. Before applying please check your latest Tax Credit Awards Notice if you are unsure.
Your child may also qualify for free school meals if you receive any of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Universal Credit ** if you apply on or after 1 April 2018, your household income must be less than £7,400 a year as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods (after tax and not including any benefits you get) Your net earned income is your household income after taxes and deductions and does not include income from Universal Credit or any other benefits you may receive.
- Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
- Guaranteed Pension Credit (including Child Tax Credit)
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- support from the National Asylum Support Service.
**You may be asked to provide supporting evidence if you receive Universal Credit, for example a copy of your Universal Credit Statement(s)
**Universal Credit will be rolled out in Sandwell from November 2018. For further information on Universal Credit please read the following link 'Get ready for Universal Credit' page.
Please note - If your child is eligible or becomes eligible for free school meals at any time before 31 March 2022, they will remain eligible until this date or beyond dependent on what school phase (see below) they are in. You will not need to apply for Free School Meals again if you are already eligible at a Sandwell School.
Primary - The primary phase is defined as the period Reception to Year 6. It includes both Infants and Juniors.
Secondary - The secondary phase is defined as the period from Year 7 to Year 11.
How to apply for free school meals
The easiest way to apply for free school meals is online, just click on the button below and fill in a few details and we'll get back to you.
Or you can download and complete the free school meals application form and return it to the address on the form.
For further information please call our Education Benefits team on 0121 569 8186 or 0121 569 8189.
Free school meals for infants from September 2014
School meals will be free for pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 from September 2014.
Please ask at your child's school about arrangements.