Sandwell Council House reception will be closed from 1pm on Tuesday 21 May

The main reception at Sandwell Council House, Oldbury, will be closed from 1pm on Tuesday 21 May due to Annual Council. The reception will re-open as normal at 9am on Wednesday 22 May. Access council services online →

How to appeal against a benefits decision

How to appeal against a Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction or Discretionary Housing Payment decision

If you applied for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction or a Discretionary Housing Payment and you don't agree with the decision we made, you have the following options:

•    You can ask for a written explanation or statement from us explaining our decision. 

•    You can ask us to reconsider our decision by submitting a challenge. 

•    If you are still not satisfied, you can appeal against our decision on your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction.

•    You can request a review of our Discretionary Housing Payment decision. 

If you want to ask for an explanation, challenge the decision or appeal then you must do this within one month of the date of the letter notifying you of the decision. 
You can use this form if you are a landlord or housing association.  Normally only the person actually making the claim has the right to challenge most aspects of a Housing Benefit claim. However a landlord or housing association can challenge decisions about who Housing Benefit payments are made to and about the recovery of Housing Benefit overpayments.

Request an explanation, challenge or appeal against the decision


Third Party Authorisation

Please be aware that we can only discuss a benefit claim with the person claiming the benefit. If you want someone else to be able to contact us on your behalf please fill in our Third Party Authorisation form.