Contact the benefits team

If we haven't been able to answer your question here then please get in touch with us.

Please be aware that we can only discuss a benefit claim with the person claiming the benefit. If you want someone else to be able to contact us on your behalf please fill in our Third Party Authorisation form.

If you want to contact us to report a bereavement you may find it easier to use our Tell Us Once service. 

For information on how to send us evidence to support your benefit claim and how you will get this back please visit our providing evidence page. 

Contact us by email

 Please ensure that you include the following information in the body of your email:

  • your full name
  • your full address
  • the address your enquiry relates to (if different from the above)
  • your benefit claim reference number
  • your date of birth or your National Insurance number

Please note: If your email does not contain the required personal information we may need to contact you to request this before we provide a response to your enquiry.

Our main email address is

Telephone us

You can call us on 0121 368 0800

Our phonelines are busier than usual at the moment. We apologise for the inconvenience.
You can access many of our services here on our website.

If you can’t get through now and you can’t find what you need online, please try again later - we’re open 8.45am-5pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and 9am-5pm on Wednesdays.

Opening hours

  • Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 8.45am to 5pm
  • Wednesday: 9am to 5pm

Please note that following a recent review of our self service telephony the "hot keys" have now changed and are now as follows:

  • hot key 1: payment information
  • hot key 2: enquiries relating to reminders, finals, summons, liability order, bailiff warning letter or any other recovery related letter
  • hot key 3: other Council Tax enquiries, including discounts, exemptions
  • hot key 4: for benefit enquiries, including local Council Tax reduction scheme, claim progress or benefit overpayment
  • hot key 5: for landlords who have a tenant claiming housing benefit, to notify of a change of tenancy or information on local housing allowance
  • hot key 6: for advice services or to report benefit fraud
  • hot key 7: to notify of a change of address or change in circumstances       

Visit our offices

You can visit our counter service in Oldbury and West Bromwich for all enquiries regarding Council Tax, Housing and Council Tax Reduction.

Please note that with effect from 1 October 2015 we will no longer offer a document photocopying/verification service at our offices. All documentation in support of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction claims should be sent to the address below. Please include your name/address and Benefits claim reference with any documentation that is posted. All original documentation will be returned by second class post unless it has been received by recorded/special delivery when it will be returned by the same method.

Sandwell MBC (Benefits and Council Tax),
PO Box 239,
Sale M33 6GU

Appointments are available upon request and can be made in person or by phone - 0121 368 0800.


Sandwell Council House - One Stop Shop,
Freeth Street, Oldbury B69 3DB.

Opening hours:

  • Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 8.45am to 5pm (last ticket 4.45pm)
  • Wednesday: 9am to 5pm (last ticket 4.45pm)
  • Saturday: 9am to 12pm (last ticket 11.45am)

West Bromwich

104-105 Kings Square,
High Street, West Bromwich B70 7NN.

Opening hours: 
  • Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 8.45am to 5pm (last ticket 4.45pm)
  • Wednesday: 9am to 5pm (last ticket 4.45pm)   

Write to us

You can write to us at the following address:

Sandwell MBC (Benefits),
PO Box 239,
Sale M33 6GU.